Unlock Your Potential:
Your guide to Licenses and Certification in Clinical and Anatomic Pathology
Karen DiDonato ⋅ December 8, 2020
While it is possible to work in anatomic and clinical pathology without certification or state-specific licenses, getting nationally certified and/or state licensed will increase your chances of getting hired, getting a higher salary, or being considered for advancement. If you are considering becoming a traveler, having state licenses is your key to unlock multiple potential contracts.
The following three certifying agencies are most often requested by our clients:
- American Society for Clinical Pathology: https://www.ascp.org/
- American Medical Technologists: https://www.americanmedtech.org/
- American Association of Bioanalysts: http://www.aab.org/
There are currently 11 states that require a license. The components of the law vary state-to-state, but usually includes an annual licensing fee (some are bi-annual), a provision for continuing education, a minimum education and professional competency requirements.
The following is a list of the states with laboratory personnel licensing requirements:
- California: https://www.cdph.ca.gov/Programs/OSPHLD/LFS/Pages/Home.aspx
- Florida: https://floridasclinicallabs.gov/licensing/
- Hawaii: https://health.hawaii.gov/statelab/licensing/
- Louisiana: https://www.lsbme.la.gov/
- Montana: http://boards.bsd.dli.mt.gov/cls
- Nevada: http://dpbh.nv.gov/Reg/MedicalLabs/Medical_Laboratories_-_Home/
- New York: http://www.op.nysed.gov/prof/clt/
- North Dakota: https://www.ndclinlab.com/
- Puerto Rico: [Website in unavailable]
- Tennessee: https://www.tn.gov/health/health-program-areas/health-professional-boards/medlab-board.html
- West Virginia: https://dhhr.wv.gov/ols/regulatory/Pages/Licensure.aspx
If you need assistance getting started with professional certification or licensing, HCI would be happy to help.
To use your certification and/or state licenses in a new job, we have positions available an anatomic and clinical pathology throughout the nation. Scroll through our available jobs or give us a ring at (954) 346-3347.