If you are an experienced traveler, most contract laboratory assignments begin with you staying in a hotel room for a few days while your apartment details are finalized. But what are you going to eat during that time? If you are like me, after a while I crave home cooking instead of salty and often over-priced restaurant food. If your hotel has a microwave, you are ready to cook your own food!
I’ve included 3 recipes below, one for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. (I didn’t include a dessert recipe because quite frankly if you are cooking in a hotel, you aren’t likely to have flour, baking powder, or baking soda. Lean on Betty Crocker and Dunkin Hines; they offer many mug cake and brownie mixes.)
1 French Toast
1 Tbsp butter
¼ cup milk
1 egg, beaten
¼ tsp ground cinnamon
¼ tsp white sugar
¼ tsp vanilla extract
2 slices bread, torn into small pieces
- Melt butter in a small microwave-safe dish or large mug (approx. 30 seconds). Tilt dish/mug to coat butter on all sides.
- Into the melted butter stir milk, egg, cinnamon, sugar, and vanilla.
- Press bread pieces into milk mixture.
- Microwave on high until set, about 90 seconds.
2 Asian-Style Chicken Salad
Serves 8 (can you say leftovers?!?!)
1 pkg ramen noodles (seasoning packet discarded)
1 rotisserie chicken, shredded (meat only)
1 pkg (16 oz) coleslaw mix
6 green onions, thinly sliced on the bias
1 cup Asian sesame salad dressing
- Using your hands, break the ramen noodles into bite-sized pieces and add to bowl.
- Add the shredded chicken, coleslaw mix, green onions and toss with salad dressing.
Save the leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge and you’re all set for tomorrow!
3 Macaroni and Cheese
1/2 cup dried elbow macaroni
1/2 cup water
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 cup milk, any percent
1/4 to 1/2 cup shredded cheese (cheddar, Monterey jack, or provolone)
- Combine the macaroni, water, and salt in a microwave-safe bowl.
- Cook on high for 2-minute intervals until the pasta is al dente. (Watch closely as the foam could pour over the edge. If it does, stir a bit earlier. If the pasta still isn’t done and there isn’t enough water, add a tablespoon of water.)
- Stir in the milk and cheese then microwave again for 30 to 90 seconds, stirring every 30 seconds, until the cheese and milk form a creamy sauce.