Get Started As a Laboratory Traveler

Follow and like us:

Because you work in clinical or anatomic pathology, you are very lucky to be able to take your skills and travel around working in laboratories nationwide. But how do you get started? Not to worry! HCI has over 20 years of laboratory staffing experience to share.

When you accept a laboratory travel job with HCI, be sure to let us know you want to bring your buddy with you. With a little extra time, we will be sure to find a pet-friendly way to travel.


If you are already credentialed through American Society for Clinical Pathology (ASCP), American Medical Technologists (AMT), or American Association of Bioanalysts (AAB), you’ve got a good start. While some facilities don’t require certification, it’s definitely good to have so you can travel to more places.

Determine where you want to go

Do you prefer lying on the beach catching some rays? Are you a hiker who would like to conquer our nation’s highest peaks? Are you a skier or snowboarder who loves to check out new terrain? As a traveler, you are in charge of where you want to go.

Learn if that state has licensing requirements

There are currently 9 states that require licensing: California, Florida, Louisiana, Montana, Nevada, New York, North Dakota, Tennessee, and West Virginia. The licensing process is typically the same for all states: fill out an application, provide the required documents, and pay a fee. The time it takes to get your license varies from state to state and depends how busy the licensing office is, so don’t leave your license application to the last minute.

Determine your pay requirements

Pay differs from one area to the next. For example, California will typically pay more than Ohio. And third shift will pay more than first. An area that is more populated will typically pay more than a remote town. Experience also plays a role. There are many factors, so be realistic in your expectations.

Paperwork and Documentation

After you interview, get the job, and sign the contract, paperwork will need to be done and you’ll be asked to provide proof of various immunizations and health documents. The most typically required documents include: TB, MMR, hep B, varicella, Tdap, influenza, and a recent physical. You may also be asked to do a color blind test and a fit test, as well as providing herpes zoster immunization documents, or other facility-specific records. It’s a great idea to have these documents at the ready so you can start as soon as possible.

Time Frame

As your employer, we will run a background check as well as a drug screen. We will also verify your credentials including your degree, certification, and licensure. All of this takes time, so expect a few weeks before you can actually start your travel job.

Getting there

HCI will book your flight and rental car or you are welcome to drive to your assignment. We will also take care of your hotel and/or apartment. All you have to do is pack your bags and get ready for your adventure.

Why not get started? Check out our open positions here: Job Search or give us a call at (954) 346-4475. We have what you are looking for!

Get new posts by email:
We will treat your data confidentially
Author: Karen DiDonatoKaren, our content marketing strategist, has worked with HCI since 2004. She holds a Bachelor of Science with a concentration in communications. In her free time she enjoys baking, gardening, running, and all things Peloton-related.