Our client, located in the mid-Atlantic, is currently seeking a Cytogenetics Medical Technologist to test in their busy and specialized Cytogenetics section of their hospital clinical laboratory. This large and prestigious academic teaching university hospital is only a couple of hours away from the District of Columbia.
Performs microscopic analysis for cytogenetic studies on biological specimens. Analyzes chromosomes for prenatal diagnosis, congenital birth defects, fertility problems, and hematological disorders. Is responsible for harvesting cells, image analysis, and results reporting.
- Calibrate, operate, troubleshoot, and maintain the equipment
- Critical thinking skills to recognize problems and develop solutions or alternative approaches
- Lab safety and infection prevention is of paramount importance
Job requirements include but are not limited to:
- Stain slides to make chromosomes visible for microscopy
- Select or prepare specimens and media for cell cultures using aseptic techniques, knowledge of medium components, or cell nutritional requirements
- Harvest cell cultures using substances such as mitotic arrestants, cell-releasing agents, and cell fixatives
- Examine chromosomes found in biological specimens to detect abnormalities
- Recognize and report abnormalities in the color, size, shape, composition, or pattern of cells
- Prepare biological specimens for chromosome examinations
- Analyze chromosomes to aid diagnoses and treatments for genetic diseases. Maintain laboratory equipment. Input details of specimens into logs or computer systems
Education and Certification:
- Bachelor’s degree in a biological science
- CG(ASCP) certification
HealthCare Connections, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, age, religion, national origin, disability, pregnancy, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, or other protected status pursuant to law.